Friday, July 13, 2012

A Taste of Victory: Lions State Chili Cook Off 2012


For Dan Lea, judging the Lions State Chili Cook Off is just part of the job. He’s the Arts and Entertainment Editor for the Idaho Press Tribune.

“They were looking for celebrity judges, I don’t know if I qualify to that degree, but my publisher asked me if I’d be available and willing to do that. I’ve actually judged some county fair chili cook offs in Michigan, where I’m originally from. I enjoy food in general and experiencing new things. In that sense, I think I was a pretty good pick.”

Dan himself makes a mean chili. Personally, he likes to use celery salt or sea salt, three different beans (garbanzo, black, and red kidney), and consistency-wise, his preference runs on the soup (vs. the stew) side. His base flavor falls under the tomato and tomato juice category. Green chilies are what Dan uses to provide the snap, and his meat of choice? Ground turkey.

“My compromise for good health,” he adds.

Heaven only knows what ingredients he’ll see tomorrow. The kick could be provided by green chilies from New Mexico or even ghost chilies, like in the concoction last year that I had to sign an actual waiver for before I could try. Style will differ. Tomato based? Green with chicken? More of a beefy dish? Protein-wise, Dan suspects he could be seeing shredded beef, chicken, turkey, buffalo or elk.

Secret ingredients are anyone’s guess. Dan’s heard of people using ketchup before.

“---Which makes sense, because it’s sugar-based. It obviously sweetens. People are also going to have a variety of onions, beans…I’ll be taking notes. I’m actually going to go a couple of hours early to see those ingredients and how they’re used.”

There are a lot of off-handed jokes to be made about a chili cook off contest, but Dan gives a gentle warning:

“These people are pretty serious about their craft. They’re pretty intense and take great pride. There are secret recipes and ingredients that might be unique to them. Conversely, sometimes they love to share, there’s a lot of pride in what makes their chili special.”

Judge Dan Lea gives the rest of us, acting as unofficial judges, these chili cook off tasting tips:

-Make sure to give yourself a chance to sample everything, don’t think you might have found the perfect chili on the first try.

-Keep moving along, make sure you savor the vast variety that will be available.

-If you’re seriously trying to cleanse your palate, use saltine crackers. Water alone won’t do it.

“It’s very much like what you’d do if you were wine tasting,” shares the experienced judge.

Tomorrow afternoon will contain the moment of truth as contestants from all over the state cook up a storm, all with the firm knowledge that (for that one day, anyway) the bucks are in the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment